My New Melon Cover

I’ve been on a shopping spree lately. As a female, I am a little unusual in that I don’t like to shop! In fact, I despise it. If I need clothing for a certain occasion I will go looking, but it isn’t enjoyable in any way to me. Then Al Gore invented the internet (he says) and a wonderful thing happened. I could go online and browse to my heart’s content for items that I need. It saves a lot of gas and I love receiving packages!

So I’ve ordered a set of saddlebags, which I have and will talk about later. There are also the Harley boots that I ordered from Zappos and love them almost as much as my bike (that is saying a lot). Once I ordered the saddlebags I was on a roll. The next day I ordered a Drifter Half Helmet from Motorcycle Superstore. It came 2 days later and I wore it around the house for a couple of hours until it felt formed to my head. The neighbors already know that I’m crazy. At least I didn’t do the ‘chicken dance’ while I had it on.

Saturday morning I drove Dave to the airport for a 4 day trip. The temps were promising to be in the 80’s and it was already very warm by 7:30 a.m. when I got back home. This called for a ride. I needed to try out my new melon cover and this was the perfect day for it.

I rode north up Hi-way 9 to Marysville to visit my son for a while. The first thing I noticed was the freedom that I felt. Not because my husband was gone for a few days, but because the air was flowing across my face and it felt great! It was hot and the little beads of perspiration were building up on my nose. I had a slight itch on my upper lip, so I reached up and scratched it. I felt a joy riding that I hadn’t felt before. All this from a different style of helmet. I wore dark glasses for eye protection, and the visibility was much improved from that of wearing a full-face helmet. I love the protection of an FFH, but the feeling of warm air and sun on your face is worth the risk. Dave doesn’t like the idea of the half-helmet, but I assured him that not only would it be my face that would be disfigured if I crashed, but the rest of me would probably have more damage. He was not convinced by that argument.

I plan to wear the shorty when it’s really hot, and I’m not on the freeway for long distances. I would want the full protection in that case.

For those of you who might be into purchasing a new half-helmet, the one that I got is the Bell Drifter Skullz a Poppin’ helmet. Motorcycle-superstore.com has them for $10.00 less than other websites, and there was free ground shipping as well if the purchase is over $75.00. I am very pleased with the quality and fit of my Drifter. It looks like many happy summer rides in my future.